Certification - Food
Good Manufacturing Practices
What is GMP?
GMP or Good Manufacturing Practices is a pre-requisite program (PRP) for Food Safety Management System. It outlines the minimum common hygiene and processing requirements applicable to all food processing establishment and intended as the foundation towards achieving higher food safety management systems like HACCP and ISO 22000. They ensure that ingredients, products and packaging materials are handled safely and that food products are processed in a suitable environment.
GMP standard in Malaysia is the Malaysian Standard, MS 1514:2009. Any company involved in the manufacturing and processing of food products can use GMP to minimize food safety hazards in their product.
Good manufacturing practices (GMP) includes many basic operational conditions and procedures that are required to be met by the food businesses. These can include the following:
- The correct construction and layout of the food premises.
- The condition of the external environment of the food premises.
- The adequate maintenance of equipment and utensils used within the food business.
- The use of suitable chemicals within and around the food premises including cleaning chemicals, pest control chemicals and machine lubricants.
- The identification and storage of waste within and by the food business.
- The cleanliness of the food premises, equipment, utensils, floors, walls and ceilings.
- An effective pest control program implemented within the food premises and surrounds.
- The avoidance of foreign matter within the finished product. Sources of foreign matter can include wood, glass, metal, plastic, pests, paper, string, tape.
- Benefits of GMP
- Current version of the GMP
Benefits of GMP
The main benefits of HACCP certification is SAFEFOOD in that it:
- Cost savings from lower food wastage and rejects
- Ensuring your basic food safety requirements are fulfilled
- Facilitates the ability to improve for better business performance
- Demonstrate your commitment to produce safe and healthy products
- Provide confidence to stakeholders on the manufacturing facility processes
Current version of the GMP
The current GMP certification in Malaysia is the MS 1514:2009 certification. The MS 1514:2009 consists of the GMP guidelines for setting the operational requirements for food businesses setting the foundation for achieving higher food safety standards such as HACCP and ISO 22000.